The Vow of Web Chastity
"I swear to submit to the following set of rules drawn up and confirmed by
- All pages must be validated as error-free by
http://validator.w3.org/ prior to publication.
- Sound must never be produced. Links to sound/music files are acceptable,
but they must never be auto-started by the browser on my behalf.
- HTML must be written by hand. "WYSIWYG" editors must not be used (if I find a
certain effect impossible without it, the effect is not allowed).
- Pictures are not allowed where the same content could be conveyed with a short
piece of text (e.g. a picture of the word "Back" is strictly forbidden).
long as it is not assumed they will be obeyed.
- The page must not contain superficial content (Animating GIFs, attempts
at layout using small images etc. must not occur).
- Viewer alienation is forbidden. That is to say, I will not assume my user is
using any particular (set of) browser(s) on any particular platform.
- The page format must not be fixed. Layout beyond the spirit of HTML (simple
alignment) is forbidden. Tables may be used for data which is tabular by
nature, but not for attempts at layout.
- The page designer must not be credited.
Furthermore I swear as a page designer to refrain from personal taste! I am
not an artist. I swear to refrain from making a "work", as I regard the
viewer's preferences as more important than my attempts at layout. My supreme
goal is to force the truth out of my available content. I swear to do so by
all the means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic
Thus I make my VOW OF WEB CHASTITY."